Saturday, May 28, 2011

What is enough?

So the news is reporting a certain celebrity just got engaged and is sporting around a 2 million dollar ring. WOW! That is crazy! I wonder if she thinks the size and price of the ring is equal to the amount of love you have for a person. Maybe she thinks it means since she is wearing a ring that big and that expensive the marriage will last forever and we will talk about it for years and years. You know my grandparents were married for 24 years before my grandfather passed away. I don't know what caret my grandma's ring is. I don't know how much it cost. But what I do know is my grandparents loved each other like crazy. And I know they would still be married if my grandfather had not died. My parents have been married for 32 years. They both sported simple gold bands until my mother lost hers skiing at the lake. The ring my dad bought her to replace her band is not a 20 caret rock but it was worth more then a 20 caret ring. Why? Because you can't put a price on love and forever.
That's what I want to remember. That's what I want my kids to remember about their parent's marriage. That love was enough.

I don't care they have more money then I do. But what makes me sad is that when this story broke out people in Joplin, MO were moving into shelters because their homes were gone. Children around the world are going without food. Human trafficking is running rampant in our world.
It's not just celebrities - it's all of us. How many times have we decided we needed the bigger and better thing? How many times have we given in and up to be more like the person next door. We live in a society that screams "you are not good enough unless you have xyz product." That's what our children live with every day. They buy an iPod and then two days later the new iPod comes out and all of sudden the one they have now is junk. Why? It still plays the same songs. But because Jane next door has a new one they feel they need to compete. And when does it stop? When we have all the things we want? Will we ever have all the things we want.

God,
Please continue to remind me that You are enough for me. That no amount of stuff is going to fill me the way that You can. Help me turn from things that will only provide me a sliver of happiness for a short time but will never give me the hope, peace and love that You have to offer. Thank you Lord for always loving me even when I fall short of the plans You have for my life. Amen.

No comments: